About the Organization
CAIR-AZ is a chapter of the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization. Our vision is to be a leading advocate for justice and mutual understanding. Our mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, protect civil rights, promote justice, and empower American Muslims. For the past two decades, CAIR-AZ has sustained steady progress and established roots within the Muslim community by expanding our services, strategic partnerships, and the reach of our programs.
CAIR-AZ is seeking an attorney with a demonstrated commitment to public interest advocacy and serving diverse communities. This position aims to increase access to and provide culturally competent legal services to members of the Arizona Muslim community. The Staff Attorney will also serve as the Civil Rights Director. The candidate should have a strong passion for empowering immigrants and interest in representing discriminated individuals in front of administrative bodies and courts. The candidate will be expected to use creative legal and grassroots advocacy solutions to address systemic issues facing the American Muslim community.
Practice Areas: Civil Rights/Civil Liberties (Religious Freedom, Discrimination), Employment, National Security/Police Practices/Surveillance
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate legal intake process, case selection, case referral.
- Participate in all aspects of litigation including, but not limited to, client interviews, factual investigation, legal research, discovery, preparation of legal documents, negotiations, and trials in both state and federal courts; appear at administrative hearings.
- Conduct community education and outreach including Know-Your-Rights presentations and clinics on issues of immigration, discrimination, and law enforcement interactions at mosques, community centers, and college campuses.
- Build or maintain relationships with clients, affected communities, elected officials, law firms, law schools and legal clinics, allied legal groups, and other key stakeholders to advance the organization’s legal and policy work.
- Participate in legislative advocacy as needed in consultation with the policy and advocacy team.
- Assist other staff in the production of internal and external reports
All CAIR-AZ staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, weekly outreach, fundraising, and other office tasks.
Skills & Abilities
Excellent research, oral, and written communication to interface with community leaders, government officials, and staff in a professional and effective manner.
Familiarity, cultural competency, and experience interacting with Muslim audiences.
Legal knowledge and experience with common civil rights issues impacting Muslims in America.
Ability to work cooperatively and to communicate effectively with attorneys, other staff members, and diverse community organizations and coalitions on a variety of projects in legal and non-legal settings.
Comfort and familiarity in public speaking at mosques, community centers, legislative meetings and other public facing events, to a variety of audiences.
Some evenings, weekends and off-hour work will be required. Some travel will be required.
- Law degree from an American Bar Association accredited school
- Licensed to practice law in Arizona and member in good standing
- 1 or more years of experience
- Familiarity with civil rights issues impacting the Muslim community
- Arabic, Farsi, or Urdu proficiency
- Experience working with non-profit organizations
Reporting Relationship & Location
The Staff Attorney will directly report to the Executive Director. The position is located in our Mesa office. Due to COVID-19, staff is currently on a hybrid in-person and remote work schedule.
Please submit (1) a cover letter discussing your interest in the position (1 page), (2) your resume, (3) a brief example of your writing (max 10 pages), and (4) the names and contact information of three references via email to [email protected] The subject line of your email should include your first and last name and “Staff Attorney.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
CAIR-AZ is an equal opportunity employer